There have been several instances of data loss in the WordPress community in the past. However, most users do not back up their websites regularly, even though their hosting provider does.
You can back up your WordPress website in a variety of ways. Your hosting provider’s cPanel will allow you to back up your site manually.
Additionally, you can perform automatic backups by using a WordPress Backup plugin.
Backups are essential to the security of a website. Your website can instantly be restored from your most recent backup whenever it goes down without any data loss.
We analyze the most popular backup plugins on the market and help you choose the best one for your needs.
How to Choose a WordPress Backup Plugin?
It does not matter how big or small your business is; you must invest in the right WordPress backup plugin, as the worst backup is the one you never perform.
With so many WordPress backup plugins on the market, it might be difficult for you to select one that will serve your needs best. You should look for the following features in a WordPress backup plugin:
Complete WordPress Backup Plugins
You can back up your entire website using some WordPress backup plugins, including the database backup and all files.
Scheduled WordPress backup Plugins
Scheduled WordPress backup plugins will allow you to schedule the backup to run automatically, giving you complete peace of mind.
WordPress Database Backup Plugins
The WordPress Database Backup plugins only back up your WordPress database.
Traditionally, most WordPress backup plugins only allowed you to upload backup files to your own server.
Having remote file storage through Dropbox, Google Drive, or Amazon S3 has become necessary for many reputable WordPress backup plugins to increase security.
Even if your entire website is compromised, you can quickly restore your files this way.
Let’s take a look at the best WordPress backup plugins!
Best WordPress Backup Plugins
We encourage our users not to rely totally on backups, although many WordPress hosting companies offer some form of backup.
Additionally, you are responsible for regularly backing up your website.
It is highly recommended that you immediately install one of these best WordPress backup plugins if you do not already back up your website.
The UpdraftPlus plugin is one of the best backup plugins for WordPress. This backup solution for WordPress has over a million installations and is regarded as the most popular.
The plugin allows you to perform full, manual, and scheduled backups of all your website’s files, including the database, plugins, and themes.
The process of restoring your files is simple and doesn’t require much technical knowledge.
It also integrates with various cloud storage services, including Google Drive, Dropbox, and Amazon S3.
The free edition includes all the essential functions, but you can quickly upgrade the basic functionality with the premium edition.
Features of UpdraftPlus:
- It is possible to schedule backups in advance or do them manually.
- You should back up your entire WordPress website.
- Create multiple automated backups with distinct schedules.
- Backups can be stored on Amazon S3, Google Drive, Rackspace, and Dropbox. Additionally, the premium version supports Microsoft OneDrive and WebDAV.
- Utilize backups created by other plugins to restore your website (paid feature)
- Premium editions include customer support.
I use BlogVault for my WordPress websites, and it’s the best backup program I have found.
Your site is connected to its servers via a plugin, which simplifies setup and reduces the load on the server by using incremental backups.
A daily backup of your website is automatically performed by BlogVault each day, along with a 90-day history of the last backup.
Furthermore, your backups will be kept securely on their servers, as well as being available for download to your PC or Dropbox account.
They offer a staging site option that is particularly handy. In this way, you can create a staging site for testing before committing changes to your live website.
You can then restore your backup via your account dashboard if necessary.
A white label solution is included in higher-level plans, which allows for clients and team members.
As a result, it’s evident why WordPress administration companies prefer BlogVault for backing up their sites, primarily because backups are so convenient.
The same company also operates the MalCare security platform.
You can add malware scanning, a WordPress firewall, and a slew of other features by selecting the “Backup and security” option at the top of the pricing page.
You can manage plugins, themes, and other parts of your sites using BlogVault, in addition to backup and security.
Features of BlogVault:
- Backups are automatically performed daily.
- Multisite support for WordPress.
- Back up your WordPress files and database completely.
- Backups are available on-demand indefinitely.
- Backups are incremental to lessen the strain on servers.
- Store your content offsite and access it directly from your BlogVault dashboard.
- Backups are securely stored on Amazon S3 servers.
- A staging environment is included (great for testing website changes).
- Restore your website in a few clicks.
- Migration to a new domain, host, or server.
- Web administration functionality.
- Optional white-labeling (great for clients).
- Email notifications for backups, migrations, and other tasks.
You can schedule backups of your website with BackupBuddy as needed. Additionally, you can backup files directly to offline storage.
Furthermore, the BackupBuddy plugin simplifies and secures the process of migrating your WordPress site to another domain or host.
BackupBuddy premium WordPress backup plugin is exclusive to iThemes (now owned by LiquidWeb).
A single click with this plugin lets you back up your whole website – database, files, etc.
It is also possible to create automatic backups based on your preferences.
It is also possible to back up only a database or to exclude specific files from your backup if needed.
You can use this flexibility to schedule both incremental and full backups as needed.
BackupBuddy supports several remote backup storage options, including drives like Amazon S3, Google Drive, and Dropbox.
A recovery method is included, which allows WordPress to be quickly and efficiently restored from a backup.
Features of Backup Buddy
- Backups of your entire WordPress site.
- Easy to install and configure – no complicated settings needed.
- You can schedule backups for every day, week, or month.
- Create multiple backup schedules, each with its configuration.
- Your backups can be stored in BackupBuddy Stash, Amazon S3, Dropbox, Rackspace Cloud, FTP, or by email.
- You can either restore your site through the use of an ImportBuddy file that guides you through the process (step by step), or you can use individual files directly from your WordPress dashboard.
The Jetpack Backup plugin for WordPress offers real-time backups. Your website is automatically backed up so you can quickly restore it in case of collapse.
You can track the activity of your website visitors with its activity log. This way, you’ll know if someone has broken your site.
You can restore your website from anywhere with Jetpack Backups’ mobile application.
Your website will be back to its original state in a matter of minutes with this plugin. But, of course, you may also roll back to a previous version of your site if you don’t like the modifications.
Jetpack is a set of tools for WordPress site owners. One of them is a robust backup system called VaultPress.
This collection of tools is provided by Automattic, the company that owns and operates WordPress.com.
Jetpack used to require you to purchase all of its products, including some you would not use, but Backups is now included in a single package.
Jetpack Backup will take a daily backup of your entire site to their servers. You’ll have less stress on your server because incremental backups are conducted.
You can restore your data with just one click, and their support staff is always ready to help.
One of the significant advantages I have is emailing someone who can help me restore my site.
Features of Jetpack Backups:
- A daily backup is automatically performed on lower plans (real-time backup is available on higher plans).
- There is no need to connect to a third-party platform such as Dropbox since storage is included.
- You can restore your website with a single click from your dashboard.
- Customer support is available if you need it.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
Sucuri Website Backups
Sucuri is best known for its website performance and security platform.
The software includes a firewall, a content delivery network, malware monitoring, and malware eradication, among other functions.
Previously, I have used the company’s security and performance platforms. However, they also provide backup services.
The backup service is straightforward and requires no plugin installation. Connect your website, and it will be automatically backed up every day.
You don’t have to wait until the next day if you want to install a new plugin.
A visual representation is provided of which files have changed since your last backup, as well as email reminders.
There are a lot of excellent features here. Still, I particularly appreciate that backups are performed via SFTP, which is less resource-intensive than a standard plugin – it is beneficial for large sites.
Sucuri is an excellent tool that can make your website more secure and load faster.
That means avoiding waste and providing faster page load times to your visitors (which results in increased conversions). I strongly recommend it, and it’s well worth a look.
Features of Sucuri:
- Automated daily backups are conducted.
- On-demand backups.
- Sucuri’s cloud infrastructure stores backups securely.
- You can contact the support team for assistance if required.
- A report detailing the changes to your files since your last backup.
- The backups are stored for 90 days.
- Automatically restore files and databases from your dashboard.
- You will receive notifications when your site has been backed up successfully.
- Content management systems other than WordPress are also compatible (e.g., Joomla, Drupal, Magento, etc.).
Duplicator is known chiefly as a migration plugin, but it is also an excellent backup plugin for WordPress.
It is easy to create zip files of your entire WordPress site, which can then be downloaded and moved between different servers using Duplicator.
You can manually backup your entire WordPress site (or portions of it) using the free version of this plugin.
What exactly can Duplicator Pro do? First, you can back up your blog with no effort with both fast and periodic backups.
Among Duplicator’s unique features is that it can clone any pre-configured site. Duplicator enables you to build a single website instead of customizing themes and plugins individually.
Thus, you can move WordPress sites already configured to a new location without having to reinstall them.
Additionally, you can backup to cloud services such as Dropbox, Google Drive, and Amazon S3 – ensuring that your backups are protected.
You can also reduce the number of backups to save storage space.
Like many other popular WordPress backup solutions, Duplicator lets you schedule backups, transmit them to the cloud, and receive email notifications.
Features of Duplicator
- Easy to customize and set up.
- Back up your entire website or portions of it.
- Back up your data to Dropbox, FTP, Google Drive, or Amazon S3.
- Set a limit on how many backups are stored.
- Supports WordPress installations with multiple sites.
- Customer assistance is included in the Pro version.
Another free WordPress backup plugin with over 600,000 users and over six million downloads is BackWPup.
With BackWPUp, you can backup your entire WordPress installation to a remote location of your choice, such as Amazon S3, Dropbox, or Google Drive.
It is relatively easy to configure and use. Furthermore, you can perform backups automatically or manually to save time. Storage options such as Google Drive and Amazon Glacier are available in the premium edition.
Furthermore, even with the free edition, you can backup to an external storage platform like Dropbox. A premium edition also includes additional features.
Pro version includes additional functions for scanning, repairing, and optimizing your database. However, other plugins offer the same functionality.
You can use the plugin to repair material that has been damaged and optimize your database.
Backups can be emailed and, with the Pro version, restorations and backups can be encrypted for greater security.
Features of BackWPup
- Plugins for backing up your entire database and files.
- Several backup locations are available, including Dropbox, S3, FTP, and more.
- Back up your data automatically on a daily or monthly basis.
- An easy-to-use repair tool is included as well.
- The professional version comes with a database, scanning, optimization, and repair tool.
- You can choose the format in which you want to store your backups.
- The Pro edition includes customer assistance.
WP Time Capsule
WP Time Capsule is ideal if you want to backup only the most recent files on your WordPress site rather than the full site.
As with most other WordPress backup plugins, WP Time Capsule supports cloud storage services such as Google Drive, Dropbox, and Amazon S3.
Features of WP Time Capsule
- Backups are incremental.
- A scheduled backup.
- The staging area is also included.
- Also included is a merge into the live site.
- A notification via email
- We offer white-label agency solutions.
- The incremental backup method seems to be the most popular.
- The backup files are not compressed, so they consume minimal server resources.
- It is a simple program that requires little technical knowledge to operate.
- Provides a lifetime membership plan.
- Perform updates and restores in the staging area.
All-In-One WP Migration
All-In-One WP Migration is primarily a site migration plugin for WordPress rather than a backup plugin.
Nonetheless, it includes several quite useful backup options.
Features of All-In-One WP Migration:
- Easy backups with just a click
- Cloud storage options are numerous
- It is easy to import and export.Wpress files.
- Restoration options with just a click
- It is effortless to use the plugin.
- You can import choices by dragging and dropping
- Suitable for any size of website.
- No technical knowledge is required.
Checkout, Best Free and Paid WordPress Themes
Final Thoughts on WordPress Backup Plugins
There is no doubt that UpdraftPlus is the best backup plugin for your WordPress site. BackupPlus is an all-in-one backup solution that offers all necessary features right out of the box.
Even the free version includes a wide range of features comparable to those found in paid plugins.
Meanwhile, if you want a premium plugin that will make live backups every time you modify your files, you can use BackupBuddy. Furthermore, you can also resolve common issues with it, which is a huge benefit. The plugin also saves a significant amount of server resources with its Stash feature.
We hope this post has helped you find the best WordPress backup plugin for your needs.